Sunday, October 28, 2018

Stories from Latsia, Arediou, Dikomo, Tseri, Salamis…

Stories from Latsia, Arediou, Dikomo, Tseri, Salamis…

Sevgul Uludag

caramel_cy@yahoo.com

Tel: 99 966518

The flow of information about `missing persons` continue with calls or e-mails or messages from my Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot readers…
I collect this information, ask them questions about these, publish it so everyone knows and also share it with the officials of the Cyprus Missing Persons' Committee: For further investigation…
I do not publish names or coordinates – I give the necessary information to the officials of the CMP so that their job is easier…
All of this is a VOLUNTARY, HUMANITARIAN task – done with our heart, not as part of any `project`…
Recently some of my readers have been sharing more possible burial sites with me – I collected these and tried to meet with the officials of the CMP – it took quite a long while (some months) until we could arrange a face to face meeting so that I could pass on the very sensitive information to them…
One of my Greek Cypriot readers, long before the CMP started digging in Strovolos recently, had sent me the following information:
`Dear Sevgul, hi… Hope you are well… I want to give you some information about missing Turkish Cypriots, `missing` from 1963-64… This place is close to the APOEL club stadium, called `Magglis`… They have built many buildings but the chain of wells called `Maggli's well` is still there. There are no buildings where wells are. There is information that they had buried many Turkish Cypriots… According to my information, some Turkish Cypriots killed in the Nicosia area were buried here and there are rumours that their numbers are more than those they had killed in Kaymakli (Omorphita). According to the information I gathered, some Greek Cypriot fascists took them there, killed them there and buried them what is known as "Maggli's well". This information is very important…"
Months later when I meet the Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot chief of investigators, assistants to the members of CMP, Mine Balman and Popi Chrysostomou, the digging has already started there – so we call my reader and he promises to help… He will help them to communicate with someone who had been a young boy at that time and who feels sorry and who knows the chain of wells so that perhaps the digging can be done in a particular well… I thank this reader for his humanity…
Another Greek Cypriot reader, when I ask him about a particular Turkish Cypriot "missing" from Arediou from 1963, sends me the following information:
"A Greek Cypriot from Arediou told me that the particular Turkish Cypriot from Arediou you are asking about was also killed in 1963 by the militant group of Tseri. According to this Greek Cypriot who told me this, that Turkish Cypriot is not buried in Tseri but in Nicosia. According to him, the "missing" Turkish Cypriot was buried in what is known now as the football field of PAAEK, he had been buried somewhere there… I am sending you the coordinates of this area…"
So I gave details about this when we meet the officials of the CMP and I thank my reader for helping us…
One of my Greek Cypriot readers has more information about a "missing bus" that was going from Nicosia to Paphos…
According to this reader, the five Turkish Cypriots on that bus (mostly elderly men and women) were killed in Latsia and they had burned down the bus…
He says:
"Dear Sevgul, there was a bus going from Nicosia to Paphos and the bus was stopped at Latsia by some Greek Cypriot fascists and those people on the bus were made to come down. They were taken behind the Carlsberg Beer Factory and were killed. After a few days, the fascists from Tseri would go there and take out the bodies of those killed from where they had been buried in Latsia and they took them to this area called `Aggali` and re-buried them there. They buried them next to place known as `Kannouros`.
If you haven't found yet the remains of those Turkish Cypriots on the bus, there is a person who is alive and who knows this place and I give you his information…`
Again, when I met the officials of CMP, I have given the name and his phone that this reader has mentioned to me about the guy who knows the location of the five `missing` Turkish Cypriots' possible burial site. I thank this reader for his humanity.
A Turkish Cypriot reader talks to me and tells me the following about some `missing` Greek Cypriots' possible burial site:
`Above Dikomo, there is the mountain called `Bozdagh` - at its top, where the dirt track ends, there used to be an old army camp of the Greek Cypriots. That camp is empty… It's desolate but you can still see the old toilets and stuff… There is a cave to the west of this camp. This cave is a vertical cave, it is just like a well, it goes down like a well towards the floor… The soldiers who had gone to Dikomo in 1974, some of them spoke to us and told us that they had buried some Greek Cypriot `missing` in this particular cave that is exactly like a well… Please share this information with the officials of the CMP and also do your investigation as well…
We used to go hunting above Dikomo and in those days we used to see human remains scattered around… If they haven't already, they should investigate the area above Dikomo as well…`
Another Turkish Cypriot reader calls me to tell me about what he heard from a very close relative of his…
He says:
"Dear Sevgul, what I will tell you now, I heard from a very close relative of mine and I wanted to share it with you so that you can do investigations and also inform the CMP… When there was the war in 1974 and the Turkish tanks were progressing, at that time where the Salamis ruins were ending a group of Greek Cypriot soldiers had opened fire on the tanks. These Greek Cypriot soldiers who had opened fire on the Turkish tanks were caught there. There used to be a shack for the night watchman for the Salamis ruins, my relative told me that the Greek Cypriot soldiers were caught there. They would take them what is now called the `Silver Beach` and would kill them for opening fire at the tanks and would bury them there. According to my relative there were some military posts at the Silver Beach and they buried them either in those military posts or around those posts… Please investigate this with the CMP…`
I thank this reader as well and I have shared the details of his information with the officials of the CMP…
I also thank the officials of CMP, Mine Balman and Popi Chrysostomou for creating time for me so that I could pass on the details of these possible burial sites to them…
Let us follow the lead of our readers – if you too know something that you think you might want to share with me, please call me with or without your name on my CYTA mobile phone at 99 966518… Or send me a message or an SMS and I can call you… Any information you would share would ease the work of the Cyprus Missing Persons' Committee and would help the Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot relatives of "missing persons" waiting for half a century for any news about their loved ones…

6.10.2018

Photo: View from the digging of CMP at Strovoulos...

(*) Article published in the POLITIS newspaper on the 28th of October 2018, Sunday. Similar articles with same content were published in YENİDÜZEN newspaper in Turkish on the 2nd and 3rd of October 2018 and here are the links:

http://www.yeniduzen.com/magglinin-kuyusunda-gomulu-bazi-kayip-kibrisliturkler-vardir-13012yy.htm
http://www.yeniduzen.com/dikmen-ustu-bozdagin-zirvesinde-toprak-yolun-bittigi-yerdeki-magaraya-bazi-kayiplar--13018yy.htm

No comments: